You have a real interest in the English language (in particular British English) and you want to dive deeper into colloquial language.
You want to learn strategies that will help you consistently improve your vocabulary acquisition and you want to brush up your comprehension skills.
About this module
This month we focus on language: we start by considering the impact the English language has on our lives and we discuss the consequences of an international language.
Next we dive into the world of ‘slang’, in particular British slang. We’ll discuss whether a learner of English should learn slang and colloquial language, and how it can help you improve your comprehension of natural language.
You’ll watch several clips and practice using typical words and expressions that British speakers commonly use. You’ll have hands-on practice in order to get to grips with the new vocabulary.
I’ll also introduce you to an effective self-study method for learning new vocabulary.
What you will learn
By the end of this course you should
- have shared your opinion and ideas on the theme of language
- compared two written arguments
- have acquired new native-level vocabulary
- be able to use these new words & expressions in your own context
- be able to recognise slang when you hear it and determine if it is high frequency
- have followed a TED talk and clip from BBC Ideas
- translated a piece of ‘correct’ English into ‘real’ English
- discovered a new method for learning vocabulary
What is the activation project?
You will complete a writing and speaking task using slang and natural language. You’ll also try out the study method for new vocabulary.
- Writing Lab Extra Practice
- x2 Listening Practice
Is there a certificate?
Yes! At the end of the course you will find a short progress test. To earn your certificate you must pass the test with a score of 60% or higher.
How long do you have access to this course?
When you purchase this course as a single course you will have lifetime access to it.
This course is also included in Road to English Proficiency. The access period will depend on your plan.