Take your English up a gear by improving your comprehension of native speakers and developing your pronunciation
This course is for you if you:
> have an advanced level of English, and although you can generally catch the gist of what native speakers say, you still struggle to understand the finer details
> want to learn strategies that will help you consistently improve your listening skills both for personal goals and your career
> want to learn pronunciation techniques to help you sound more natural and fluent when you speak
About this course
We kick-start this course thinking about how we perceive different accents; what the “British accent” really means and the impact of accent discrimination. We’ll discuss these themes in our forum.
We’re then going to work on regional accents (UK) & analyse differences in pronunciation, which will help strengthen your listening skills.
Next, we’ll focus on dealing with natural speech patterns when you are trying to understand native speakers.
We end the module with a pronunciation boost.
What you will learn
- The differences in UK regional accents
- Strategies to deal with natural speech patterns when you are trying to understand native speakers. In particular: recognising redundancy, repetition and illogical speech patterns
- You’ll have a firm understanding of what connected speech is and what the ‘schwa’ sound is
- How to identify keywords and catch specific details
- To identify words that lose a syllable in fluent speech & make your speech sound more fluent
What is the activation project?
- You will complete two speaking tasks which will encourage you to focus on your pronunciation in a fluent and natural way.
- You’ll also listen to a story and reformulate it in your own words. This can be a spoken or written task
Do I receive feedback and guidance on this course?
Yes! You’ll get feedback from our qualified teachers on your work throughout the course and also on your final assignment in the activation project
Can this course help me at work?
Yes. The content of this course is general English, not business English vocabulary. However, if you work regularly with British English speakers, this course can really help your comprehension and speaking skills.
Is there a certificate?
Yes! At the end of the course you will find a short progress test. To earn your certificate you must pass the test with a score of 60% or higher.
You will have access to this course for an entire year from the day of purchase,
or 18 months when you purchase The Complete Collection