Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Lucia on July 1, 2021 at 6:43 pm

I haven’t things to add to your suggestions. When I am listening to an English conversation usually:

– Set my mind on the topic of the conversation (a job meeting is different from a TV show and a friendly chat, and the possible topics covered are different as well)

– Try to focus on the meaning of the speech and not on the single words

– If I can’t get what it is happening at all I interrupt and say on the line of “Sorry to interrupt you, but I think I may I am not understanding: are you saying <I try to rephrase what it is the last thing I get> ?” or try to signal that I am not following the conversation.

Lucia replied 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    July 2, 2021 at 10:51 am

Good sensible strategies @Lu_Corde 👌

• Lucia

July 5, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Thank you!

Anyway, I developed these strategies, then the last meeting I lost the plot a bit because I was checking to have sent the correct file and when I understood that my colleague had written a file-name different from the one I had said, I assumed I had made an error and interrupted the meeting to underline that actually the procedure was different from the one I had described.

Actually, I was right and it was only a spell error… I was super-ashamed! But it was like the third time in total I actively took part in a meeting, so I guess I will learn to keep track. Ahahahah

• Kerin

Administrator
      July 7, 2021 at 9:10 am

Oh man! I can imagine it was pretty embarrassing, but good for you for taking a stand!

• Lucia

July 16, 2021 at 10:29 am

You have no idea! But I assume it is a lesson learned 😂