Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Mónica on June 24, 2020 at 10:42 am

I never liked too much watching TV, not even when I was a girl. But sometimes I watch TV at night, before going to bed when I need to (as I say in Spanish) “evade from reality”. There is a Spanish series that I enjoyed. It is called the Ministry of Time, and it is about a Ministry where workers travel back and forwards on the time to keep the History as it is, avoiding changes in the past. It is a good laugh because it mixes Spanish History with actual news and facts and also criticizes Spanish politicians in a very funny but polite way.

When I realized watching TV it was good for learning English, I started watching series in English, in the original language with English subtitles. I started with Vikings on Netflix. It is a bit violent, but they speak slowly, with a lovely accent. I watched only watched a few episodes. I watched GLOW on Netflix too, that was so funny. It was about a bunch of ladies practicing for wrestling shows. I really enjoyed it.

And lately, I have seen Sex Education (very funny), The Crown until I got bored in the third season and Luther. Oh my god, what a way to suffer from Luther, it is so violent! I didn´t enjoy it. But I think this has been the only time I have been binge-watching as my husband was absolutely hooked on it. After the second episode in a day, I become immune to blood and screams.

Mónica replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    June 25, 2020 at 10:38 am

I know what you mean – TV series is an escape from reality and honestly in the evening sometimes I am so tired, it is all I am capable of! Even if I would prefer to read a book, TV is easier and I am lazy. I’ve not seen Ministry of Time although I did watch a Spanish show recently about bank robbers – it was a little ridiculous, but I did enjoy it. I forget the name.

I liked the first season of Luther, but it became too gory for me as it went on. I also remember watching it with my mum once when I was visiting and she kept complaining about all the blood, but when I suggested switching it off, she wouldn’t😂

Some notes; good job! Interesting vocab 👍 and fluent. Two points –

> I never liked too much watching TV – to make this sound more natural, switch the word order: I never liked watching TV too much OR I never liked watching TV THAT much

> travel back and forwards on the time – in time

• Mónica

June 26, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for your corrections, Kerin.