Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums How to talk about books How to talk about books | Vocabulary

• How to talk about books | Vocabulary

Posted by Antonella on February 4, 2021 at 12:49 pm

I have a preference for character-driven novels in which I can lose myself in the inner aspects of character’s personality and follow his/her thoughts and behavior.

Although I don’t particularly love reading mystery, sometimes, especially during summer (lying on the beach), it happens I read detective stories. Generally speaking, I’m not so interested in the main features of this genre: clues dissemination, hooks and suspenseful plot. I rather appreciate how the author builds the character and the settings in which he investigates. In this sense, I love Camilleri’s books, where you can find a careful balance of mystery, humor, suspense and social reflections. With a wonderful invented language! These are the main reason his novels always keep me on their toe!

Antonella replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    February 5, 2021 at 10:03 am

Agree, I like mysteries that have a bit of humour in there too. Although I’m quite addicted to nordic noir at the moment 🤔 … not much to laugh about there! It’s the bleak Scottish DNA inside me I think!

I want to give you a nice expression you can use here:

> sometimes, especially during summer (lying on the beach), it happens I read detective stories.

> sometimes, especially during summer (lying on the beach), I have been known to read detective stories.

This expression should work like this >

These are the main reasons his novels always keep me on my toes!

đź‘Ť

• Antonella

February 6, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Ah, ok! I’m never sure about how to decline idiomatic expressions. Thanks Kerin!