Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums M5 Final Activation Project Vocab Builder Extra Study M5 I´m not the brightest crayon in the box

• I´m not the brightest crayon in the box

Posted by Antonio on May 6, 2023 at 9:58 am

I have to admit it, it´s a fact: I´m not the brightest crayon in the box. As an example, I´ll explain a short story. A week ago, after an intense working day, I was knackered. Consequently, before returning at home, I made a pit stop in a coffee shop. At the moment of paying the bill I realized that I couldn´t find neither my wallet nor my keys. Then, without a shadow of a doubt, I thought that I had lost them in the street. I panicked and I unsuccesfuly tried to find them in the pavement at the risk of being runned over by a car or pedestrian. Then, another terrible idea struk me: maybe I was been the victim of a pickpocket. So, I went to the police station to file a report.

Fortunately, when I returned to my office the next day, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet and keys in my office.

Not in a million years would I have thought that! And the worst of all, I can say that it was a Rockie mistake!

Kerin replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    May 8, 2023 at 3:56 pm

This is really well done Antonio, you have used the vocabulary in a very nice way and some very nice constructions too (e.g neither…nor)

Let’s have a closer look:

> As an example, I´ll explain a short story. > here I’d use ‘tell’ instead of ‘explain’ because tell collocates with story (tell a story, tell a lie etc)

>I panicked and I unsuccessfully tried to find them ON the pavement at the risk of being RUN over by a car or pedestrian.

>Then, another terrible idea struk me: (spelling) STRUCK

>maybe I was been the victim of a pickpocket. (grammar) had been (You will cover this in the Tell Interesting stories course)

> I can say that it was a Rockie mistake! (spelling) rookie