Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Case study: make a decision Make a decision

• Make a decision

Posted by Diego on October 27, 2021 at 8:53 am

Make a decision: for a long-term investment is it better to invest in high-risk or low-risk funds?

I do not have large sums to invest and I am afraid of losing my savings, I think it is a good idea to invest in low-risk funds even if the return is almost zero. (report a personal observation)

According to an article I read a few days ago, you should avoid high-risk investments only if you think you’ll need to get back your money at any time. If, on the other hand, you want to set them aside for many years, it is better to aim for medium-high risk investments to obtain a higher return. (report from another source)

I’m just not 100% convinced because it is difficult to predict whether or not I will need to use the invested money in the next few years. (express doubt)

I have always invested in low-risk funds and I’ve never lost a single euro. (be persuasive)

I think that the major advantage being that there are not many fluctuations and you can always disinvest your money without losing large sums (state an advantage)

What would you do?

Kerin replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    October 28, 2021 at 9:33 am

Hi Diego,

This phrase would be stronger if you added a conjunctive adverb, like this:

I do not have large sums to invest and I am afraid of losing my savings. Therefore, I think it is a good idea to ….

I suggest:

According to an article I read a few days ago, you should avoid high-risk investments only if you think you’ll need ACCESS TO your money at any time.

Watch out! Money is uncountable >

> If, on the other hand, you want to set them aside for many years … ❌

> If, on the other hand, you want to set IT aside for many years … ✅

Nicely done!