Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Case study: make a decision Make a desicion

• Make a desicion

Posted by Maria Perak on January 30, 2024 at 9:24 pm

According to Forbes Magazine, only 1 of 10 startups achieve to take off and become a big company. It is very challenging to grow a business from scratch, and not every entrepreneur has the tenacity nor the capabilities to overcome the storm.

I wouldn´t go as far as to say that it will be impossible for Elena to make her business a success, but I get the impression that she´s dealing with so many things that she cannot focus enough on her company, so she may need some help.

From what I could make out, selling the company is not a good idea because she is not prepared to leave the business completely. She only needs another person with whom split tasks, share investments and mainly, get new ideas to increase sales.

I understand Elena´s concern about targeting Amazon, Chewy and Petco, but the advantages of expanding sales into those big retailers clearly overweight the strategy of maintaining business only in independent pet shops. Being in a marketplace as Amazon will give her products immediate access to consumers from all over the world, and sales can multiply in a matter of seconds. Of course she won´t be able to launch the products into online platforms from one day to another, she will have to plan very carefully in order to be able to fulfill the potential demand, and I have my doubts she would be able to implement this in the short term. But what I´m fully confident about is that she is not going to take off the business just by doing the same.

Kerin replied 7 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Maria Perak

January 31, 2024 at 2:38 pm

You’ve completed this task very well and I’m delighted to see you using ‘reporting back’ language fluently and appropriately. Well done Maria.

Here is my feedback and some tweaks to consider:

According to Forbes Magazine, only 1 of 10 startups achieve to take off (reword: only 1 out of 10 startups manages to take off) and become a big company. It is very challenging to grow a business from scratch, and not every entrepreneur has the tenacity nor the capabilities to overcome the storm. ( ✅Excellent use of vocab)

I wouldn´t go as far as to say (✅) that it will be impossible for Elena to make her business a success, but I get the impression that (✅) she´s dealing with so many things that she cannot focus enough on her company, so she may need some help.

From what I could make out,(✅) selling the company is not a good idea because she is not prepared to leave the business completely. She only needs another person with whom to split tasks with, share investments and mainly, get new ideas to increase sales.

I understand Elena´s concern about targeting Amazon, Chewy and Petco, but the advantages of expanding sales into those big retailers clearly overweight ❌outweigh the strategy of maintaining business only in independent pet shops. Being in a marketplace SUCH as Amazon will give her products immediate access to consumers from all over the world, and sales can multiply in a matter of seconds. Of course she won´t be able to launch the products intoON online platforms from one day to another, she will have to plan very carefully in order to be able to fulfill the potential demand, and I have my doubts she would be able to implement this in the short term. But what I´m fully confident about✅ is that she is not going to take off (reword: she’s not going to make the business work / or: she’s not going to be able to make the business take off,) the business just by doing the same (suggest:) thing over and over again.

• Kerin

Administrator
    January 31, 2024 at 3:28 pm

Oops- I posted my reply as you as the user – sorry if that confuses you! Anyway it was me!