Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Para 1, 2, 3 and 4

Posted by Maria Luisa on August 14, 2020 at 8:20 am

I went to my friend’s house to watch the England game the other day. I walked in and said “ALRIGT?” he gave me A JAR and I said “TA.” England lost 4-1 to Germany. My friend and I were GUTTED. We decided to go for some GRUB. The closest pub was selling burgers for A FIVE. When we got to the pub there were some other friends there “ALRIGHT?” I asked and they said “Good TA” or “The bee’s knees”

The pub was in a DODGY part of the city but the burgers were BLOODY THE BEE’s KNEES. My friend John is very JUMMY, he always wins money on the gambling machine but tonight he put A TENNER in the machine and didn’t win. I put £1 in and won A TENNER, “you BLOODY JAMMY bastard” said John.

Then a really FIT woman walked in, I decided to buy her a drink.
    She was really attractive but stupid. I spent A TANNER on drinks for her but then
    she got very KNACKERED and decided to go home, I didn’t get her phone number and I was very GUTTED. Then my friend Pete arrived, he is TWO SANDWICHES SHORT OF A PICNIC and he was very PISSED. We all said “hello Pete, ALRIGHT?”
    John and my other friends started TO TAKE PISS OUT OF Pete.

Pete didn’t understand because he’s stupid so he said TA! I didn’t have any more money so I asked Pete if I could borrow A TANNER, but he only had A FIVE. I had one more drink and started to feel KNACKERED. We went to the kebab shop next door, there were some DODGY men in there, they started TO TAKE PISS OUT OF US and we almost had a fight. We paid for the kebabs and ate them on the way home, they were the DOG’S BOLLOCKS.

Kerin replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    August 17, 2020 at 11:16 am

Absolutely brilliant @MariLu – I enjoyed that!

> Be careful with spelling: A fiver \ a tenner \ jammy

> Adjectives like knackered and gutted are what we call ‘Absolute Adjectives’. This means that is generally not capable of being intensified or compared. Therefore we don’t use ‘very’ with these kinds of adjective.

You might find this interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/course/eiam/unit-1/session-47