Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Emails: polite language Refusal to an invitation

• Refusal to an invitation

Posted by Ecaterina Cristea on November 28, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Dear David,

I would like to thank you for the invitation to our yearly Christmas Party. The location chosen is fantastic, the menu has a lovely selection, and the guests will be well entertained with the included package.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it this year, due to unforeseeable personal events.
    However, I have heard that all my colleagues from our department will be present, and I am sure that everybody will have a fantastic time.

I hope the party will be a success and looking forward to the next event where I could be present, too.

All the best,

Mary Smith

Kerin replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    November 29, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Superb work Ecaterina,

✅ the tone is appropriate (formal, but friendly)

✅ the language structures you have used are appropriate

✅ you are inviting further collaboration in the future

Here are a few suggestions:

> I would like to thank you for the invitation to our yearly Christmas Party. > should this be ‘your’?

>The location chosen is fantastic, ….. word order: The chosen location is fantastic, or simply: The location is fantastic,

> I hope the party will be a success and looking forward to the next event where I could be present, too. No need for the comma here: I hope the party will be a success and looking forward to the next event where I could be present too.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Well done 👍