Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Antonella on November 18, 2020 at 10:49 pm

I don’t agree with the idea that people using slang are lazy. Rather, it has to do with the confidence you have with your language or with the language you are learning. The more you know a language, the more you know idioms, slang and idiomatic expressions.

Sometimes is difficult to catch slang expressions, but even more difficult for me is use slang in my English. Often I am not quite sure if the context is the right one or if I am using slang in the right sense.

Slang is not so important to communicate with non-native speaker, but it is crucial if you want to have a good level of fluency and comprehension with the native speakers, which are usually more accustomed to use slag in everyday life.

I think that you should not use slang in formal situation.

Kerin replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    November 19, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Thanks @Antonella – well expressed.

I think if you aren’t sure if the context is right for using slang yourself, always safer not to use it or to take your cue from the person speaking (i.e. if he/she isn’t using slang, best not to use it yourself.)

As you say, if you want to understand native speakers fluently, there’s no getting away from it.

note: this phrase needs a little tidy up!

>Sometimes IT is difficult to catch slang expressions, but even more difficult for me is USING slang in my English.

• Antonella

November 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Thanks, Kerin.

That phrase was very confusing… I should stop studying English after dinner!😱

• Kerin

Administrator
    November 20, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Ahahaha! …. sometimes wine can help!