Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Paolo on December 28, 2020 at 6:33 pm

I think that slang is affected by many factors and laziness could be one of them, but I won’t say that it is the most relevant one. Sure is that slang gravitate towards on what is all the rage in a specific moment and in a specific area. And that’s the crucial point: it evolves continuosly, making him even more difficult to learn.

Watching fims in original language have helped me to become familiar to some slang expressions, even if, most of the time when it is used, I can only hope to get the gist out of the context.

I think slang happens to be important in informal content and in every day life. For example I’ve been visiting a friend in London last year and I found myself asking him several times to clue me in on what people were saying to us and that made me really disappointed.

Kerin replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    January 4, 2021 at 9:58 am

Thank you for sharing @Paolo

You are 100% right – it’s part of ‘every day life’ language (Therefore I consider it an extremely important part of learning if you really want to understand native speakers). I understand your disappointment, but ‘piano piano!’ a little at a time. Start actively noting down new slang – if you realise you start hearing it a few times, it means it is high frequency – therefore, worth learning. 👍

Please have a look at the corrections. I have sent you the writing code in the messages. Please try to correct what you can using the code.

• Paolo

January 5, 2021 at 11:58 am

Thank you Kerin, double checking would be a better option in order to spare some mistakes. Please find my correction here (I still have a doubt on “Sure is”):

I think that slang is affected by many factors and laziness could be one of them, but I WOULDN’t say that it is the most relevant one. OF COURSE slang gravitateS towards what is all the rage in a specific moment and in a specific area. And that’s the crucial point: it evolves continuosly, making him even more difficult to learn.

Watching fims in original language HAS helped me to become familiar WITH some slang expressions, even if, most of the time when it is used, I can only hope to get the gist out of the context.

I think slang happens to be important in informal content and in every day life. For example I VISITED a friend in London last year and I found myself asking him several times to clue me in on what people were saying to us and that made me really disappointed.

• Paolo

January 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm

• Kerin

Administrator
    January 5, 2021 at 4:48 pm

You don’t double check?😱😂

All correct @Paolo – good.

> sure is … I wouldn’t use it to introduce a topic. It can be used as a response, like this:

“It’s a lovely day.” “Sure is!”

In this case, you’ve used Of course … which works well. Alternatives could be: For sure … (informal, not in professional writing) Certainly, Without a doubt …