Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Discussion room – slang Slang is the salt of language

• Slang is the salt of language

Posted by Edina on February 8, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Using slang is rather a choice than laziness. It expresses how fresh you are, how young, cool and trendy you are. It’s a kind of style which suits more younger people than elderly, at least in my language. When elderly use it they sound a bit unnatural and funny, it rather means, look, I’m up to date, I follow the newest stream.

It’s quite hard for me to understand English slang even though sometimes these expressions are very talkative with the pictures they use. It’s hard because slang is very compact and it always refers and reacts to some common knowledge of a certain group. Slang is the living , breathing language itself.

Using slang is very natural, very alive, so for sure it’s necessary to acquire it if you want to speak on a living language and if you don’t want to sound like a robot or a dictionary. Without using slang a part of your personality stays hidden and your communication stays a bit dry, heavy and serious.

It’s bloody hard to get to this level of English! But get a grip, Edina!

Kerin replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    February 8, 2021 at 2:49 pm

😂😂 It is bloody hard Edina! Yet I’m confident you can get there!

I appreciate what you say and agree 100%. I particularly like this phrase you used: Slang is the living , breathing language itself.

This is wonderfully written. I can only makes these tiny suggestions for you:

> suits more younger people (word order) suits younger people more

> I’d add a comma here to help the flow: Without using slang, a part of your personality

Well done @altedua ! 🤗