Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Lucia on February 28, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Almost everyone in my family has been a teacher for a period of his life, but thinking of a teacher for sure I think about my grandad. He loved teaching practically anything and I remember when, taking me and my sister to school he explained us concepts about math and physics, using games and songs.

Being surrounded by teachers all my childhood, I have always had the idea in my mind of teaching as a mission, fundamental for the single person and for the whole society. A good teacher should be patient, passionate and have good social skills, other than to have a good knowledge of his/her subject, of course!

In my opinion the social skills and the human aspect are often underestimated<font face=”inherit”>, when it should be the central point of the teacher figure: when you are talking to an audience it is likely you will have the necessity to adapt your speech to the different people in front of you to make your explanation effective. </font>

<font face=”inherit”>Unluckily in public school, at least in my experience in Italy, this happens rarely and often teachers with an excellent background were totally </font>ineffective in transmitting knowledge due to their incapability to relate with people their were talking to.

My awareness of the importance of teacher’s role made this pretty painful and annoying because I felt during my whole scholastic path the injustice of having to be lucky or rich to have a good preparation. Moreover, this belief made me understand pretty early that I didn’t want to be a teacher because I never felt to have the right temper.

Lucia replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    March 1, 2021 at 12:46 pm

This is very well written @Lu_Corde (did you have a coffee beforehand? 😜)

I totally agree that the social skills aspect of being a teacher is vastly underrated and it can really make or break whether a teacher is good or not (Personally, I feel it is similar to doctors – if a doctor has a terrible bedside manner, I don’t want to go to him or her. Regardless of how good they are at the medical side of things!)

I have very little corrections for you:

> he explained us concepts about math and physics > he explained concepts about math and physics (to us)

See: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/explain

> A good teacher should be patient, passionate and have good social skills, other than HAVING a good knowledge of his/her subject, of course!

👍

• Lucia

March 1, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for your feedback!

Actually, I had a coffee before! I wrote this Sunday morning, so I was definitely well rested 😂