Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Posted by Chiara on June 9, 2020 at 5:42 pm

The way facial recognition technology works is utterly scary, as the journalists commented in the podcast it envisages a 1984-like society, where everyone is under Big Brother’s control. Though, I think it’s the downside of modern technology: it’s not dangerous in itself, but how, from who and for which purpose it is used might be dangerous.

On the one side, I would agree with the use of the facial recognition technology to identify a criminal like a sex offender, for example, filmed by a CCT assualting a woman on the street or on a public transport,

From the other hand, I would panic if someone would be able to identify me by only uploading a picture of me, taken anaware while I was strolling somewhere, to an image search platform on the internet.

Again, the problem is that we need more transparency on how technology works and on in which hands is the control of it.

At the end of the day we can’t avoid using techonolgy in our modern life, but a “black mirror society” would be a nightmare, better go back to an analogic system, then!

Chiara replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    June 10, 2020 at 2:57 pm

We are on the same page Chiara, the issue is so complex. Beautifully expressed 👍

It makes me think of the app in the UK that they were trying to get people to use for covid – in theory it is a good idea, but in the wrong hands, could be a disaster…. Personally I too hate the idea that people can snap our picture and potentially find out about us. I find it creepy beyond words!

Just a few notes for you:

– a comma here (after used) would help this flow much neater: from who and for which purpose it is used, might be dangerous.

From the other hand > On the other hand

anaware > unaware

Again, the problem is that we need more transparency on how technology works and on in which hands is the control of it. > … better like this (few options):

and in which hands has the control of it.

and in whose hands the power lies.

and who has control over it

• Chiara

June 10, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Thank you Kerin.

Totally agree on covid app…I haven’t made up my mind yet whether to download it or not!