Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Grammar Forum "Until now" OR "So far" … ?

• "Until now" OR "So far" … ?

Posted by Kerin on April 6, 2021 at 11:06 am

Often my students confuse the expressions “so far” and “until now

Let’s clear up this misunderstanding today!

What’s the difference between so far and until now?

▶️ SO FAR

The expression “so far” is used when we’re in the middle of a particular situation. In other words, the situation has started, but it is NOT over yet.

Think of it from the beginning of that situation until the present moment.

✅ This is the best pizza I’ve had … so far!

✅ How is your weekend going so far?

✅ So far, so good!

✅ What have you done so far with your project?

✅ So far we’ve completed the business plan and set the first round of meetings.

Are you with me so far?! 🤗

Okay now let’s look at “until now”:

▶️ SO FAR v UNTIL NOW

The expression “until now” is a little different because it is used to indicate that the situation has changed.

Compare:

▶️ I’m happy with work so far.

▶️ I was happy with work until now.

The first sentence means that that person continues to be happy with work (but doesn’t know about the future.)

The second sentence means that something has happened and that he or she is no longer happy with his/her work; the situation has changed.

Here are some more examples using “until now”:

✅ That was the best pizza I’d had … until now! (The pizza I am now eating is better than any other pizza I’ve eaten)

We didn’t have any problems with the project until now. (Now we have a problem.)

“I’ve never thought about it that way until now(Something has changed to make me think differently)

⚠️ Please note we DON’T use the past tense with “so far”

Kerin replied 3 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.