Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Vocabulary Practice M5

Posted by Lucia on February 23, 2021 at 8:19 pm

Sarah was in a hurry: her friend Jack had stopped her, GRUMBLING about a mark in his last test and she had lost the track of time, a ROOKIE MISTAKE. Now, she was late for the laboratory, and this could MESS UP her last exam: during this class the groups for the project was decided and she didn’t want to be forced to share her efforts with some GORMLESS student. Entering in the laboratory she saw that people was already divided into groups and so she went toward the teacher, PUTTING ON a smile.

“Hello, I am sorry to be late. Are the groups made yet?” The professor GOT THE HUMP: she clearly thought to have finished the difficult business to organize so many different people. “Hello Miss. WITHOUT THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT you have a very good reason to be late. In any case, you can join the group c. They are only two, can you see them? There, in the second row.”

I followed the direction addressed by her finger and it was like be GOTTEN RUN OVER. The group she was indicating was composed by a boy and a girl. He was a pretty boy and she knew him well enough to know that he WAS THE BRIGHTEST CRAYON IN THE BOX and the girl… Well, the girl was her ex-girlfriend. Jack really HAD PUTTED HER OUT, that would be a long and difficult project.

Lucia replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Lucia

February 23, 2021 at 8:27 pm

An error here: *WASN’T THE BRIGHTEST…

• Kerin

Administrator
    February 24, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Hey @Lu_Corde , this is fab work! Well done on the new vocab use. Please review my corrections and suggestions below. Give me a shout if you need clarification on anything. đź‘Ť

….

during this class the groups for the project WERE BEING decided and she didn’t want to be forced to share her efforts with some GORMLESS student. Entering (DELETE:in) (or Going into – more natural!) the laboratory she saw that people WERE already divided into groups and so she went toward the teacher, PUTTING ON a smile.

“Hello, I am sorry I’M SO late. Are the groups made UP yet?” The professor GOT THE HUMP: she clearly thought to have finished the difficult business OF ORGANISING so many different people. “Hello Miss. WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT you have a very good reason to be late. In any case, you can join (DELETE:the) group c. THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM, can you see them? There, in the second row.”

I followed the direction SHE WAS POINTING IN and it was like to be GOTTEN RUN OVER. The group she was indicating was MADE UP OF a boy and a girl. He was a pretty boy and she knew him well enough to know that he WASN’T THE BRIGHTEST CRAYON IN THE BOX and the girl… Well, the girl was her ex-girlfriend. Jack really HAD PUT HER OUT, THIS WAS GOING TO BE a long and difficult project.

• Lucia

February 24, 2021 at 7:21 pm

HI Kerin, thank you for your corrections!

Can I ask you if, apart from verbs and phrasal verbs, the corrections are related to a wrong construction of the phrases or a non natural one?

• Kerin

Administrator
      February 25, 2021 at 9:14 am

Good question @Lu_Corde – the corrections are to fix the wrong construction or wrong lexical use, apart from enter versus going into and I’m so late (which are just suggestions!)

ps. I will get back to you tomorrow about your activation task đź‘Ť

• Lucia

February 26, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Understood!

Thank you for the clarification.