Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Emails: polite language Writing Task – Diplomatic English – Feedback

• Writing Task – Diplomatic English – Feedback

Posted by Filiz Mercan on January 28, 2024 at 9:45 pm

Dear Karin,

Thank you so much for your invitation. I was honored to be considered as one of the tutors in this very exciting training programme.

Unfortunately, my schedule has already been occupied with another upcoming event. I am afraid I wouldn’t join this programme. I would like to suggest that you contact my colleague, Jane. She is my colleague in the same company and very experienced on this field, I am pretty sure she will be a great replacement. I can support you if you need her contact details.

Please let me know if I can assisst you any futher.

Kind Regards

Filiz

Kerin replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    January 31, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Hi Filiz,

Very good work here, well done. Here are some things to note:

Tone: you have sustained the correct tone and register throughout this email. Excellent.

Grammar:

“I am afraid I wouldn’t join this programme.” – if you use ‘wouldn’t’ here, it sounds hypothetical and may confuse the reader. Better to be firmer and say: “I am afraid I won’t be able to join this programme.”

Vocab:

She is my colleague in the same company and very experienced on❌ this field

We say: experienced in something. Therefore: She is my colleague in the same company and very experienced in this field

Spelling TIP!:

honored – just to highlight this. it isn’t a mistake, but it is the American spelling. When you write in English be sure to choose either American or British English and be consistent throughout. (UK=honoured)