Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

• Dare to disagree

Posted by Kerin on April 19, 2022 at 9:46 am
    1. Have you ever been in a situation where afterwards you regretted either saying something or saying nothing? What happened?
    2. Many people find it difficult to tell other people that they disagree with them. Why do you think this is?
    3. Read these comments from the Ted Talk. Discuss how the storytelling added to the understanding of Heffernan’s message
    • I was fascinated by Stewart’s story. It makes her achievements even more impressive knowing her personal story.
    • Large organisations can be so intimidating. I know how Joe felt. No one wants to rock the boat
    Kerin replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Susanna

April 24, 2022 at 10:10 pm

I think , at least once in a lifetime , we were in a situation when we regretted saying something. As a child I was raised in the environment when an independent thinking was very much encouraged. Regardless of how revolutionary or radical were my ideas, they were always welcome by my parents and teachers. They saw them as a food for thought to dive into the subject and looked at it from different perspectives. And for me by challenging the common way of thinking was the best way to dig deeper and understand better the state of things. This is how my critical thinking was developed. And I was absolutely sure that this would come in handy in my adult life. Little did I know that the adulthood would be so different from my previous experience and that initiative and proactive thinking would be sometimes punishable if you applied them in a wrong place or with the wrong people. To cut to the chase, my adult life taught me to be very cautious while expressing opinions, especially when they are the opposite to the opinion of the interlocutor. A highly competitive working environment and a market -oriented society shape a very specific relationship among people; most of them to prove that they are the best can take very personally the opposite opinion, accept it as a challenge and become very defensive and even aggressive. In some cases it can affect your relationship with the colleagues and in the worst case scenarios it can cost your job. And this is not, I hasten to add, that we shouldn’t express our opinions but rather to choose very carefully the language, the tone and the appropriate time and place to do it.

• Kerin

Administrator
    April 26, 2022 at 9:54 am

Interesting perspective Susanna. We will discuss!

Vocabulary is excellent

Can you try and fix these?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_59ETY9qr8fKn9_TUr9SRTxT4M7I6l50Rf6fUhieL6M/edit

> I think , at least once in a lifetime , we were in a situation when we regretted saying something. (WT)

> As a child I was raised in the environment when an independent thinking was very much encouraged. (WW)

> Regardless of how revolutionary or radical were my ideas (WO)

> Little did I know that the adulthood (delete ‘the’)

> affect your relationship with the colleagues (delete ‘the’)