Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Discussion room – slang Activation Project 2 Looking at another photho by R. Doisneau

• Looking at another photho by R. Doisneau

Posted by valentina on September 10, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Looking at another photograpf by Robert Doisneau “Lo sguardo di sbieco (negozio di Roma)”, an imaginary dialogue comes up…

One saleswoman and her shop assistant inside the antiques shop are speaking about a couple who is looking at shop window outside the shop.

Inside

A (saleswoman): Have you noticed the couple outside?

B (shop assistant): YEP!

A: They seem interested in our paintings… They seem CHUFFED about finding finally what they want…

B: SOUNDS LIKE IT.

A: She seems a little bit GUTTED too… Maybe because he seems a bit CHEEKY, more interested in the painting on the side…

B: You BETCHA! He thinks that the painting on the side is THE BEE’S KNEES.

A: I bet A TENNER she’s getting PISSED.

B: Could be better to bet A JAR.

Outside

C (woman): Do you FANCY this painting? It is finally what you are looking for and I’m really KNACKERED, we have been walking for all the day. I want a CUPPA… and some NOSH/GRUB too…

D (man): YEP! This painting is THE DOG’S BOLLOCKS. And please I don’t want to hear a WHINGE…

C: Do you FANCY going inside and buying it?

D: YEP! But look inside the shop, these two people are staring at us. It seems they are TAKING THE PISS OUT OF us…

C: They seem a little bit DODGY. And the shop assistant seems TWO SANDWICHES SHORT OF A PICNIC too. ANY ROAD, I’m really GUTTED now and I want to go home.

D: SOUNDS LIKE IT. Ok, Let’s go home, but stop WHINGING ABOUT, please.

Kerin replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    September 14, 2020 at 9:51 am

Ahahaha, @Vale I love this!

The slang is spot on and very clever. 👏👏👏

Just two little things:

To make this sentence smoother, I’d change the word order:

> One saleswoman and her shop assistant inside the antiques shop are speaking about …

> Inside the antique shop, a saleswoman and her shop assistant are speaking about ….

Can you see if you can spot the mistake?! (verb agreement and missing article)

.. about a couple who is looking at shop window outside the shop.