Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums Discussion room – slang A Typical English Saturday A Typical English Saturday

• A Typical English Saturday

Posted by Mónica on October 6, 2020 at 11:47 am

Para 1.

I went to my mate’s house to watch the England game the other day. I walked in and said “Alright” he gave me a jar and I said “ta.” England lost 4-1 to Germany. My friend and I were gutted. We decided to go for some grub. The closest pub was selling burgers for a fiver. When we got to the pub there were some
    other friends there “Alright?” I asked and they said “Good ta.”

Para 2.

The pub was in a slightly dodgy part of the city but the burgers were bee’s knees. My friend John is very jammy, he always wins money on the gambling machine but tonight he put a tenner in the machine and didn’t win. I put £1 in and won tenner, “you lucky bastard” said John.

Para 3.

Then a really fit woman walked in, I decided to buy her a drink.
    She was really fit but stupid. I spent a tenner on drinks for her but then
    she got very knackered and decided to go home, I didn’t get her phone number and I was gutted. Then my friend Pete arrived, he is stupid and he was very drunk. We all said “hello Pete, alright?”
    John and my other friends started taking the pissed out of Pete.

Para 4.

Pete didn’t understand because he’s stupid so he said thank you! I didn’t have any more money so I asked Pete if I could borrow a tenner, but he only had a fiver. I had one more drink and started to feel knackered. We went to the kebab shop next door, there were some dodgy men in there, they started making funny insults about us and we almost had a fight. We paid for the kebabs and ate them on the way home, they were dog’s bollocks.

Kerin replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kerin

Administrator
    October 7, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Written like a pro @MonicaS !👍

Just watch with ‘knackered’ – > Adjectives like knackered and gutted are what we call ‘Absolute Adjectives’. This means that is generally not capable of being intensified or compared. Therefore we don’t use ‘very’ with these kinds of adjective.

You might find this interesting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/course/eiam/unit-1/session-47