Discuss lessons, practise English, find answers, get feedback, ask questions ... and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

All courses Forums How to tell stories Discussion Room: Teaching The most thrilling experience I ever had…until now!

• The most thrilling experience I ever had…until now!

Posted by Rubina on March 31, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Oh, here’s a good story about something happened to me many years ago in Mexico when I was travelling in Baja California.

I’ll never forget the day I went to see wild whales in Saint Jorge Bay with my Mexican boyfriend.The dream of a life!

Firstly, we left Mexico City very early in the morning to be sure to get there on time to take accomodation easily for the night. We travelled 12 hours on the bounce to reach the small village on the west coast of Baja California where everything had been organized to receive us! But when we arrived, after we had passed some trouble with the super slow and rickety ferry we were forced to take, was very late and due to the shortage of electricity, very common in the west coast villages indeed, we couldn’t find the so called “posada” when we should have found hospitality…what a nightmare! The village was totally dark, neither the moon could have helped us, was new moon!

During the night the village was a free territory for herds of famished dogs. So, we decided to camp outside the village in the middle of nowhere, a real desert with cactus, enormous iguanas and a few snakes and scorpions I suppose , we waited for the morning . Can you imagine it?

Anyway, the night passed, we were alive and very thrilled, in a few hours we would have seen wild whales!

I’ve never seen such a marvelous creatures! All the see around us was moved by tens of 14 meters long female whales with their puppies, and the most unforgettable thing was when I saw some of them taking off his heads from the water to check around and huges and shinies eyes looked at our boat!

In the end I was so happy that I completely forgot the orrible night I had passed in the desert.

Kerin replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Kerin

Administrator
    April 6, 2021 at 11:12 am

OMG @rubina this is crazy! ….Yet somehow I can imagine you 😂

Love these adventures that go so wrong, but turn out to be better than expected.

Have a look at the corrections. I’ve marked it using the writing code.

This is a way for you to try and work out the corrections on your own. Then, obviously if there are things you can’t fix, I’ll help you!

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_59ETY9qr8fKn9_TUr9SRTxT4M7I6l50Rf6fUhieL6M/edit

Notes:

> Title should be: The most thrilling experience I ever had … so far!

See here for info: https://hub.englishdigitalacademy.com/forums/topic/until-now-or-so-far/

> We would have seen wild whales – this is a conditional phrase and the meaning is we were planning to see whales, but we didn’t. In this case, you have to use this form:

we were going to see wild whales

this form shows that something was about to happen

"Until now" OR "So far" … ?

• Rubina

April 8, 2021 at 6:19 pm

Oh, here’s a good story about something that happened to me many years ago in Mexico when I was travelling in Baja California.

I’ll never forget the day I went to see wild whales in Saint Jorge Bay with my Mexican boyfriend.The dream of lifetime

Firstly, we left Mexico City very early in the morning to be sure to get there on time to take accomodation easily for the night. We travelled 12 hours on the bounce (consecutive.” I found the expression “on the bounce” – one after another with nothing else between example: The team has had five wins on the bounce.)

to reach the small village on the west coast of Baja California where everything had been organized to receive us! But when we arrived, after we had spent- got some trouble with the super slow and rickety ferry we were forced to take, it was very late and due to the shortage of electricity, very common in the west coast villages indeed, we couldn’t find the so called “posada” when we should have found hospitality…what a nightmare! The village was totally dark, neither the moon could have helped us, there was new moon!

During the night the village was a free territory for herds of famished dogs. So, we decided to camp outside the village in the middle of nowhere, a real desert with cactus, enormous iguanas and a few snakes and scorpions I suppose , we waited for the morning . Can you imagine it?

Anyway, the night passed, we were alive and very thrilled, in a few hours we were going to see wild whales!

I’ve never seen such marvelous creatures! All the sea around us was moved by ten (?? I’m not sure) of 14 meters long female whales with their puppies (calves), and the most unforgettable thing was when I saw some of them taking their heads off from the water to check around and huge and shiny eyes looked at our boat!

In the end I was so happy that I completely forgot the horrible night I had spent in the desert.

• Kerin

Administrator
    April 12, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Hi @rubina

Good work;

I see what you mean here ‘ on the bounce’ – we usually use it in reference to sport. It would be better to say: We travelled 12 hours straight

> had spent- got some trouble > the collocation is “to have trouble” (or get into trouble) Therefore you can say: had had some trouble or had got into some trouble

> ten (?? I’m not sure) of 14 meters long female whales … tonnes of? You mean, a lot of, right?

• Rubina

April 13, 2021 at 11:36 am

Thanks!

Regarding to the word TEN…

In italian we use the expression “decine di ..” or “centinaia di…” when we speak about a lot of something . Is it possible to translate in english ?

• Kerin

Administrator
        April 15, 2021 at 11:15 am

mmm… so, we definitely say “hundreds of” or “thousands of” but not really “tens of”

This is a nice article 32 Alternatives to ‘A Lot’ : https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240041